Hey everyone! SOUPer to see you again!
See what I did there?
Ok but hear me out though! You can’t always just get by in life with like, 2 soup recipes. I mean, we have some fabulous ones like the Sweet Potato, Coconut and Chili Soup, and the Potato and Spring Greens Soup but guess what – we need more!
We live in the UK and we have had some GLORIOUS sunshine this week, it was maybe 13C Sunday… and then Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday we suddenly rocketed up to 22C! Fittingly of course we ate outside, relaxed and enjoyed some much needed Vitamin D, which we’ve been lacking for a long time now. But of course, all good things must come to an end and oh how they end spectacularly:
So you’re probably thinking, hmmm now I have to save those salads, stash the smoothies and bin the BBQ in favor of something a bit warmer, nourishing and homely – and what better to do that than soup?
Its an all round big hitter and if it magically gets hot outside again soon, you just don’t heat it up and *poof* you have Gazpacho! Well, not really but you know what I mean. We’ve actually been having this soup for a few weeks now but it’s taken a little while for me to get the balance right of the various components to be able to share it with you.
The best part of this recipe is that you can really go to town and add any kinds of vegetables you want instead, but I find these work the best for a nice, filling and wholesome mix – and it should keep you going for a fair few days at that! Enjoy!
Souper delicious Mixed Vegetable and Red Lentil Soup
Whole foods, plant based, delicious, makes a lot, filling... what's not to love?
- 1 Large Brown Onion
- 3-4 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 large Red Chili Pepper
- 2 Medium-Large Potatoes (any variety)
- 3 Medium Carrots
- 2 Medium Parsnips
- 1 Medium-Large Courgette (Zucchini)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 210g Red Lentils, rinsed
- 1L Vegetable Stock + 1L Boiling Water (you may need an extra 500ml if you’ve got a LOT of veg & lentils!)
- 2-3 heaped tbsp Tomato Paste
- (Optional) 1/2 tsp Garlic Granules
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 heaped tsp Mild or Medium Curry Powder
- 2 tsp Paprika (regular or smoked)
- Juice of 1 Large Lemon
- Large handful of Fresh, Flat-Leaf Parsley (finely chopped) or 2 tsp dried
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- Finely chop the Onion, Garlic and Chili Pepper and set aside – then chop all of the vegetables into small cubes (about the size of cubed vegetables you would WANT on a soup spoon!) and set these aside
- Heat a large, heavy bottomed pan on a hob / stove over a medium-high heat and add a few tablespoons of water when it comes up to temperature, immediately add the onions, garlic and chili and stir until they start to soften, 3-4mins
- Add the spices, salt and pepper, stir and then stir in the tomato paste so it all starts to sizzle, 60 seconds or so
- Mix in the finely cubed vegetables and lentils and stir through so everything gets coated in the tomato mixture then add the stock and boiling water (add an extra 500ml if it looks like there’s too many vegetables for the amount of water, it IS soup after all!)
- Bring to the boil and then turn down to simmer, covered for about 15 minutes – taste after 10 and adjust the salt to your preference
- Your vegetables should be soft but still have a little bite to them, at this point add the chopped parsley and lemon juice, stir in and then remove from the heat, allow to sit for 5 minutes for all the flavors to come together
- Serve hot or allow to cool and store in the fridge for up to 5 days
The world is a pretty crazy place at the moment so hopefully this post inspires you, and we would love to hear what you’re cooking and also we’d love to see your attempts at the above dish and how you change it to be yours, so tweet us @rockinblues and @PlantBasedSQL on Twitter and let us know your snug story!