I’m a big fan of any dinner that allows me to throw it all on 1 tray, or something I can just forget about until the timer goes off, or that is healthy and has no oil. Fortunately, this dish embodies all 3 of those!
We found ourselves one evening uncertain of what we wanted to make – we had a bunch of vegetables but due to work and other commitments, we were acutely aware that anything that required COOKING cooking was going to have us eating way too late.
The other option was a takeaway – but nah, we can do better than that!
So upon raiding the fridge Andreea and I found a mixture of veg that was either left over from other recipes, or that we just have because they’re a staple in our house (like Red Onion, Courgette and increasingly Cauliflower!)
Well this was either going to work, or not. But it VERY much worked and actually this one one of my absolute favorite dinners that I think I have cooked since we started TheSnugVegans just under a year ago! I would say it’s in my top 3 easiest to make and my top 5 tastiest – it was just so simple, but delicious.
You can either have it like I did, with a sprinkle of sea salt and then just enjoy the flavors or you can do what Andreea did and absolutely destroy it with our Garlic Yogurt and some roasted red pepper tapenade we had in the fridge:
However you choose to enjoy it, I’m convinced you WILL enjoy it – and if you want to mix it up, try adding your own veg to the mix! You’ll be surprised at how well it comes out!
The simplest vegetable tray bake.
Possibly my favorite TSV recipe, easy, healthy and a great weeknight option!
- 1 medium head Cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 2-3 medium Potatoes (I used all-purpose white potatoes, most varieties will do!) – washed but not peeled, chopped into thumb sized cubes
- 2 small/medium Courgettes (Zucchini), halved and chopped into half-moon slices
- 2 medium Red Onions, halved and then very roughly/thickly sliced
- 2 Red Bell Peppers, chopped into large chunks
- 1 can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 5-6 large cloves Garlic, peeled & whole
- 2 mild red Chili Peppers, very roughly chopped
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1 tsp Garlic Granules
- 1 tsp Mixed Herbs
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- (Optional) Any other seasonings… whatever you want! BBQ Seasoning would work really well here (at least, I think it would!)
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C (400F) and line a large baking tray
- Mix all of the vegetables (except the chickpeas), garlic cloves and chili together in a large bowl and then tip out onto your tray, then tip out the chickpeas so evenly distributed on the tray
- Sprinkle over all of your spices and jostle the pan a little to make sure everything is roughly coated and spaced out
- Bake for 15mins then using a spatula roughly flip over all the veggies so they get evenly cooked, then bake for a further 15-20 minutes, until the cauliflower is just starting to char on the outside and the potatoes are soft and fluffy
- Serve immediately (or allow to cool and keep refrigerated for a couple of days)
The world is a pretty crazy place at the moment so hopefully this post inspires you, and we would love to hear what you’re cooking and also we’d love to see your attempts at the above dish and how you change it to be yours, so tweet us @rockinblues and @PlantBasedSQL on Twitter and let us know your snug story!