Let’s be honest – whenever we see “rolls”, as people, we are immediately suspicious. This is because you can put anything you like in a roll (or a pie for that matter) and people will lap it up! Just look at Higgedy, they’ve built a business out of it and it’s going STRONG (but then they are delicious, the vegan ones anyway).
I’ve seen people pick up a roll from a platter of hors d’oeuvres without even wondering what was in it, stuffing it in and yet they always seem to nod, smile and “mmmmmmmmmmm” every which way from Sunday!
But that being said… it’s also the greatest strength of this fine culinary treat. One of the hardest things for Vegans around this time of year (usually, when we’re not confined to our homes) is that we have to go to parties with *shudders* non-Vegans (joking!) but you end up with everyone bringing pot-luck platters of food to contribute, and no matter what we make, with the exception of hummus and veggies (because who doesn’t love hummus!?!), it’s left alone because… “well it looks vegan so i left it for the vegans”, “it looks weird so I wasn’t sure I wanted to try any” etc.
We have a hard time blending in (especially me in my “easily distracted by cows” or “eat fruit not friends” t-shirts…) so sometimes it’s nice to just bring something people will eat and not continuously question. That’s where these vegan sausage rolls come in – they fit into any table, please any palette and you won’t have to do the sad carry-home of 1/2 – 3/4 of your creation in tin foil at the end of the night!
What’s even better is if you can get someone to make them for you – I showed Diana this recipe a little while ago and she really enjoys making them so each time I want to make any I suggest it and she volunteers, just like that! Magic.
DANGER WARNING – These rolls are extremely more-ish, it will be unlikely that any will survive the hour once they are removed from the oven, I would recommend making a double batch for the purposes of having enough to take to whatever function you are attending… or y’know, you can eat the double batch straight up. I don’t judge.
Delicious Vegan Rolls le Sausage
A party classic and fan favorite that is a wonderful snack, especially on those dark, cold days!
- 6 Vegan Sausages – we like to use the Linda McCartney’s Lincolnshire Sausages
- 1 pack pre-rolled Puff Pastry ~300g minimum (GF available too)
- 2 tsp English (hot) Mustard
- 1 heaped tsp Mixed Herbs
- 1 tsp Paprika (any variety)
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce (or Tamari for GF) or 1 tsp Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Garlic Granules
- 1/2 tsp Salt & Pepper each
- ~2/3 tbsp Plant Milk of choice
- Follow the directions on the pastry if it says to take out for 10 minutes prior to use
- Pre-heat oven to 200C fan, 220C conventional
- If your sausages are frozen, defrost them in the microwave until they are soft and can be mashed
- Mash the sausages and add everything else bar the plant milk (and pastry obviously), then mix well
- Split the pastry into 2 lengthways (picture above) then add 1/2 the mixture to each in a long sausage shape, leaving a couple of cm either side for sealing
- Brush the edges with plant milk then fold the pastry over the filling to create a long tube, crimp the edges with a fork
- Pick your size & chop – we like smaller rolls personally so we cut into small pieces, although yours can be longer if you want!
- Score the top of each roll with a sharp knife so that steam can escape (picture above) then brush with the remaining plant milk (optionally top with a seed of your choice too if you want to be fancy)
- Bake for 18-22 minutes in the middle of the oven, until you have a beautiful puffed up and golden pastry then allow to cool on a wire rack before you tuck in (or hey – just blow on it, they’re hot!)
The world is a pretty crazy place at the moment so hopefully this post inspires you, and we would love to hear what you’re cooking and also we’d love to see your attempts at the above dish and how you change it to be yours, so tweet us @rockinblues and @PlantBasedSQL on Twitter and let us know your snug story!